This is Flick.
Leaving Wisconsin is different in all aspects and there is one aspect that Wisconsin people will definitely notice more than others. That is Alcohol. When we moved down here we weren't really concerned with getting alcohol. A couple of times we were in the grocery store and we would grab a six pack or a bottle of wine. We did notice that in the grocery store there was one thing missing from what you would find in a Wisconsin grocery store, that is liqour. One of the laws in North Carolina is that they can't sell beer/wine and liqour in the same store. Once we learned this we decided to find a liqour store.
Now, in Wisconsin they sell wine/beer/liqour at grocery stores and liqour stores. Pretty much every single gas station sells beer and some even have beer caves and sell liqour. The places that sell liqour in NC are called ABC Liqour stores. This is one thing that Wisconsin people would be proud of. Since liqour isn't sold everywhere these ABC stores have to make up for it. We were pretty impressed with the size of the store and the selection of the store.
The next thing that didn't come up until about after a month of living here is how late do they sell beer until. In Wisconsin they sell beer/wine/liqour until 9:00pm and if you are lucky you can find select gas stations that sell until midnight. So, one night we ran out of wine and were kind of in the mood for another bottle. It was 8:30 and we knew we would have to act quick. So I called the grocery store to ask them a question. An older gentlmen picked up and I let him know that I was about to ask a stupid question and then I let it rip. How late do you sell alcohol til. He replied back boldly 2:00. I was so shocked that I snapped back at him with a; Seriously? I was astonished.
The reason that I was so amazed is that a rule/law like that would never fly in Wisconsin. In Wisconsin when people run out of beer and it is still being sold in stores, they just drive to go get more. If the stores sold until 2 the number of drunk drivers would go through the roof which is saying something because of the ridiculous number of drunk drivers in Wisconsin. Now, we think it is awesome that they sell that late, but still wonder is that really safe.
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment